The cleaner your brushes are the cleaner your makeup results will be! It is a fact!! Well, maybe its my personal fact because its what works for me. Having cleaner makeup brushes will help prevent acne breakouts and can help you achieve a more flawless makeup application.
The photograph above shows a few of my favorite makeup brushes. They are mostly from BH Cosmetics, one is from Natural Beauty and the other is from Avon.
I try to clean my makeup brushes every Sunday. This helps to ensure that I will have a fresh set of brushes to apply my makeup for the upcoming week.
Here are the steps I use to wash my makeup brushes:
- Rinse brushes in lukewarm water to help remove most of the make up.
- Apply brush shampoo to the brush bristles. [ You can view the brush shampoo I use here]
- Massage the brush shampoo into the middle of the brush bristles ( This step is important because majority of makeup accumulates in the base of the makeup brush head).
- Rinse the brushes and repeat the following steps at least two times for each brush.
- Spread out the brush bristles to re-shape them to the original brush form
- Lay brushes flat on paper towel to dry overnight.
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative to clean your make up brushes, use Dawn Dish Liquid Soap!
I usually hold my brushes when using the listed steps but you can also try this! Mix your choice of brush cleaner in a small bowl with lukewarm water. After stirring, simply soak your brush bristles in the solution for 10-15 minutes and use steps 4 through 6.
Happy brush cleaning!!